Strategic Initiatives for 2021
67TH LEGISLATIVE SESSION
In 2021, the Kalispell Chamber will strengthen our strategic pro-business agenda with two
new items, stable and adequate education funding (K-16) and affordable/workforce housing to address the Flathead Valley’s growing employer needs. By working with our Flathead legislative delegation, the Governor, Montana West Economic Development, and our members and other stakeholder partners, we will support an environment that encourages investment and measured risk, economic opportunity, and free enterprise.
BUSINESS RESILIENCY AND RECOVERY
- Proactively provide programming, information and resources to assist our businesses through the next phase of the COVID-19 pandemic and to recovery.
- Promote safety guidelines, messaging and use of PPE to ensure doors stay open for
- Convener/Organizer of the Flathead Valley Business Recovery Team.
- Leverage our unique position as the designated tourism agency and business organization for the greater Kalispell area resulting in greater opportunities for economic development, business retention and attraction.
DESTINATION PROMOTION TO ATTRACT VISITORS TO KALISPELL
- Educate the broader community on how Discover Kalispell strengthens the economic vitality of our community through promotion as an attractive travel destination, ultimately enhancing Kalispell’s image as a dynamic place to live, work and play.
- Continue and enhance Travel and Recreate Responsibly campaigns to promote safety protocols to visitors on their way here. Connect visitors already here with resources for safe and healthy activities and respect for the community and natural resources.
- Champion tourism as the key industry which supports, grows, and sustains our small businesses from retailers and restaurants, to recreational businesses and guides.
- Take an active role in convening discussions on affordable/workforce housing needs to promote public-private partnerships and other tools that results in a growing supply of mixed-use housing options.
- Build on infrastructure progress (Hwy 93)/Reserve designation to improve freight mobility thereby reducing the costs of doing business and reducing congestion so capacity for growth exists.
- Strengthen manufacturing, innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives with our partners.
- Work with our partners and key stakeholders to define and deliver a forward-facing, wellorganized, cohesive, and welcoming economic development ecosystem for businesses considering relocation to our area.
- Expand existing workforce initiatives to include retaining/retooling of existing workforce, additional career discovery programs, and talent development.
- Actively support our public school system including our Community College (K-16). Participate in SDS’s strategic planning process ensuring future business needs are addressed and our schools are preparing our local youth for the jobs of Kalispell’s future.
PROMOTING AN ACTIVE AND VIBRANT DOWNTOWN
- Continue partnerships and involvement with the Parkline Trail Committee, Kalispell Downtown Association, the City of Kalispell and others to promote 18-hour vibrancy and walkability through the heart of the city.
- Prioritize artist partnerships to create new murals, street art, and sculptures downtown.