SAVE MONEY ON YOUR 2022 TAX BILL!
Kalispell Public Schools wants you to be aware of a great opportunity to support your local public schools and the great things we are doing to enhance the experiences and opportunities for each student. The 2021 Legislature authorized enhanced tax credit opportunities for Montanans to support their local public schools through HB 279.
Starting January 3, 2022, you can get a dollar-for-dollar tax credit on your state tax bill in 2022 by making a cash donation to public schools. What this means is that you can help us expand our innovative educational programs that benefit our students through enhanced:
- transformational and advanced learning opportunities for our students;
- programs, services and equipment for students with disabilities;
- work-based learning partnership for our students;
- post-secondary credit or career certifications for our students; and
- technologies that improve student experiences and opportunities.
MAKE A DONATION EARLY!
Time is critical! This dollar-for-dollar tax credit is on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS for the entire state of Montana. We are encouraging you to act quickly. It is anticipated that since this program is capped at $1,000,000, these tax credits will be gone in less than an hour once the donation portal opens. Individuals or corporations can donate up to $200,000 per year for our school’s innovative educational programs.
HERE IS HOW IT WORKS!
- KPS is registered on the Montana Department of Revenue’s (DOR) Education Donations Portal.
- If you or your business want to make a cash donation to Kalispell Public Schools, send an email to [email protected] and make sure you tell us in writing that it is for “innovative educational programs.” You can send the email anytime. We will be processing these emails on a first come first served basis. There is a chance that the $1 million cap will be met before we can get your donation recorded.
- In the email you will need to provide the District with the following information:
- Amount of the donation
- Your Name (Business Name)
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- Your mailing address
- Your physical address
- Your Email address
- KPS must have actual receipt of a cash donation (or check) before we can pre-register the donation. A pledge or promise of a donation is not sufficient for a PSD or SSO to preregister a donation. Donations can be mailed or brought directly to the District Office at 233 1st Ave E. Kalispell, MT 59901. Our entrance is located on the North side of the County Library Building. If our District office is closed, donations can be dropped in the mail slot to the right of the entrance.
- KPS will enter your information in the Education Donations Portal. All information is confidential tax information and will not be shared publicly.
- Once the District records the donation, the DOR will preapprove the donation (so long as the individual and statewide thresholds noted above have not been exceeded) and you will receive a confirmation number and receipt that you will include when you file your 2022 taxes.
The statewide aggregate threshold of $1,000,000 is tracked on the DOR Education Donations Portal. You can view how much of the credit has been reserved, how much is available, and how much is pending.
More Information can be found on the following links from the Montana Department of Revenue.
Tax Credits for Qualified Education Contributions – Guide
Again, this is time sensitive, and we cannot guarantee that each donation will be able to be entered prior to reaching the $1 million aggregate amount (but we will do our best!). If your donation is not accepted by DOR because the aggregate limit was reached you will not be obligated to make the donation. If you do choose to donate in this way, we express our sincerest gratitude for your support of Kalispell Public Schools.